I'm Mad as Hell and I'm Not Going to Take it Any More

I'm not thrilled about Occupy Wall Street, and it's not that I don't sympathize with the 99%  - after all, I am part of the 99%.  To me this movement represents the utter failure of our political and economic system, and in that respect it's not a good thing.  This is a "mad as hell" moment for America.  I've been waiting for such a moment for over 30 years, ever since this:




Now that it's here, I wish I could sit back and savor it.  I wish I felt like participating. Instead I just feel jaded and cynical.  This probably has a lot to do with my age, because I'm getting to the point where hardly anything has the capacity to either shock or inspire, but instead goes into a big bucket called called "miscellaneous bullshit". But I really do want to have some hope for our country, desperately, in fact. So, before tossing the OWS movement into the miscellaneous bullshit container, I am going to take a wait-and-see approach. This is my opinion, for what it's worth: to all those who are looking for some sort of coherent, effective political movement to arise from this, don't hold your breath.  The most that we can hope for is that the folks in congress get the drift of which way the wind is blowing and take some positive action.  Let's consult the Magic 8 Ball to see what it has to say about this.  Hmmm...."Don't count on it."  There you have it, straight from the Magic Orb.  I, on the other hand, in spite of the logic of the 8 Ball, would like to hope that some hearts and minds may be changed.   I guess I'm not so old that I've lost hope, however jaded I may be.

Comments

Popular Posts